- Here's something that probably won't make the front pages: Massacre in Haiti. "UN and Haitian officials believe it may have been in part an attempt to destabilise the newly elected government of President Rene Preval."
- Wingnuts don't know the difference between a soldier and a photographer. What? They want journalists to start attacking the enemy now? Meanwhile, there they sit bitching and just how many of them are fighting for their country?
- If Newt Gingrich says it's WW3, it must be so. And, while we're in the midst of it, here's his plan:
In an interview in Bellevue this morning Gingrich said Bush should call a joint session of Congress the first week of September and talk about global military conflicts in much starker terms than have been heard from the president.
"We need to have the militancy that says 'We're not going to lose a city,' " Gingrich said. He talks about the need to recognize World War III as important for military strategy and political strategy.
September?? Jeebus, when Terry Schiavo's fate was at hand an emergency session was called for. WW3? Oh, that can wait til September. There's BBQing to be done!
- Voting to extend the state of emergency in Iraq sounds like a no-brainer, especially since the head of their Olympic committee (who knew they had one?) was kidnapped.
- Escape to Hell: Fleeing China, Landing in Guantanamo. Quite the tale of torture and woe.
- Canada is a superpower too. An 'energy superpower'. Does this mean we get to go around the world and turn everybody's lights off when PM Harper is having a bad hair day or will Putin simply punch Harper's lights out while he's still got him in Russia?
- Update: Check out Glenn Greenwald's roundup of the extremism being expressed in the right-wing blogosphere. Some of those people are just plain dangerous.