Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Ignatieff: The Fairweather Liberal

I started reading the enormous tome that was supposed to pass as a biographical article on Liberal leadership candidate Michael Ignatieff which appeared in the Globe and Mail this past weekend, but I just couldn't finish it. 'Being Michael Ignatieff' was about as interesting to me as a physics textbook - both painfully devoid of anything I would describe as entertaining - and was an insult to the movie about John Malkovich, from which the Ignatieff article's headline was lifted. Frankly, I'm surprised I got through as much of that article as I did without slitting my wrists.

Ever since Ignatieff so graced Canada with his imperial presence this past year to join the commoners here in our pursuit for that frivolous little thing we call 'democracy' by stepping down from the hallowed turrets of Harvard to run for the Liberals, I've had absolutely no use for him. He sees himself as a modern day Trudeau - a new philosopher king. And, while Plato was perhaps correct that philosopher kings might serve as ideal leaders in a utopian society, I'm pretty darn sure he wouldn't have considered someone like Michael Ignatieff to be an example of what he had in mind. And the average Canadian Liberal would be sorely wrong to consider Ignatieff as the second coming of Pierre Elliot Trudeau. He's not.

And now, to add further insult to injury to how Ignatieff views his committment to his Canadian subjects serfs constituents, the Toronto Star informs us that Ignatieff won't even commit to running in the next election if he loses the leadership bid. 'Depends who's leader', he says.

"Being an MP, without being an MP, I've been a Liberal all my life," he said. "When I go into rooms people are glad I'm in the room because they've read stuff I wrote which contributed to their sense of what it is to be a Liberal and what Liberal philosophy is. There are all kinds of ways I can serve the party."

Then why the hell don't you quit right now and surround yourself with your adoring sycophants if that's what makes you happy?

Ignatieff argued he wouldn't be "doing this occasionally difficult job" without serious commitment. "It's been brutal," he said. "Etobicoke-Lakeshore was very, very tough."

"But you won't commit to run for Etobicoke-Lakeshore again?" he was asked.

Replied Ignatieff: "I'd like to serve my constituents well, but you're asking me an anticipatory hypothetical about the situation that prevails on the 3rd or 4th of December."

Besides, he's "quite confident I will win. I believe I will win."

Excuse me while I pull my hair out.

Now, as one who happens to like intellectualism as much as the next person who likes intellectualism, when it comes out as pompous assism there's a line to be drawn.

So, listen up all of you Ignatieff supporters: if you vote this guy in to be your party leader, you're not doing yourselves or your party any favours. In fact, you'll be voting for a man who is so uncommitted to your party, its principles and its future that you might as well add Preston Manning's name in as a write in on the ballot instead.

Ignatieff: wrong for the Liberals and wrong for Canada. Don't come whining to me when he's got the run of your party and reigns in a manner that reeks of the imperialistic boobs to the south whose policies he supports. I'll only be more than glad to tell you, 'I told you so.'

No comments:

Post a Comment