Friday, June 02, 2006

The 'I Hate My Computer' Open Thread

Okay. So I downloaded a calculator from Tucows which didn't work; I uninstalled it; rebooted; guess what? No access to Windows. It wants me to setup the whole damn system again. So, I type in the product code I have written down for my setup cd rom but there's something wrong with the code. I do everything I can possibly think of in DOS. I make vanilla autoexec.bat and config.sys files. (Yes, I have backups - somewhere). I call Microsoft. Naturally, office hours are now over. So, I pull out this old extra PC I have and post this to get sympathy (and possible donations of big bucks so I can buy a system that actually works!) and now I'm off to find out what the hell went wrong on my own.

Thanks a lot, Bill Gates! I hope YOU'RE having a fucking lovely Friday nite! Did I mention I also have a bloody annoying cold??

Mission Accomplished! Flipping Windows &^%&$!! I found a way to restore my registry from a previous date through DOS. All of those years spent teaching myself some handy geek stuff has paid off.

But I still need a new computer!

No comments:

Post a Comment