Thursday, March 30, 2006

Live Blogging Event: Senate Judiciary Hearing on Censure

The Senate Judiciary Committee is holding a hearing today about Senator Russ Feingold's (D-Wi) resolution to censure President Bush due to his actions which have allowed warrantless spying by the NSA on Americans suspected of having communications with terrorists.

The hearing, 'An Examination of the Call to Censure the President' begins at 9:30am ET and can be seen online at C-SPAN.

The following panel members are scheduled to testify:

Robert F. Turner
Associate Director
Center for National Security Law
University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA

Bruce Fein
Partner, Fein & Fein
Washington, D.C.

Lee Casey
Partner, Baker & Hostetler
Washington, D.C.

John Dean
White House Counsel to President Richard Nixon
Author, Worse than Watergate

John Schmidt
Partner, Mayer Brown Rowe Maw LLP
Chicago, Illinois

I will be transcribing the statements, questions and testimony. IANALS (I Am Not A Legal Secretary) nor have I even taken typing lessons, but I have hosted numerous live blogging events and you'll find that I am able to cover the gist of what happens while adding my own commentary - of course.

Please feel free to join in with your comments as well. It's always nice to know that I'm not enduring these things by myself.

Key to my transcriptions:
quotation marks= actual quotes
round brackets= my commentary
no quotation marks= paraphrasing

Related News: Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) introduced a bill on Wednesday that would fast track lawsuits heard by the Supreme Court that challenge the legality of the NSA spying program.

UPDATE: C-SPAN TV will rerun the hearing Friday nite at 8:50pm ET. As always, C-SPAN will also provide the video of the hearing on their site so you can view it at your convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment