Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Bush on Card's Resignation: "That was a real shocker, wasn't it?"

Canadian journalist Tom Clark sat down for an interview with President Bush on Tuesday, snippets of which aired on CTV's national news broadcast the same evening.

Anchorman Lloyd Robertson asked Clark about his experience with Bush:

Robertson: So, your first time meeting George Bush. Tell us about the kind of personal experience that was in that room.

Clark: Well, it was a little bit extraordinary as you might imagine. It was a small room, the Map Room in the White House. George Bush was uncharacteristically late. This was is a man who loves to be punctual. We walked in and apologized saying, "I'm sorry, I'm late. Now, it's not often I have presidents apologizing to me. I said, "don't worry about it". What he wanted to talk to me about before the interview was the departure of his chief of staff and he looked at me and said, "that was a real shocker, wasn't it?"

A "real shocker"? White House press secretary Scott McClellan said that Card "approached Bush on March 8 to suggest that he resign, and the president decided to accept it on Saturday while at the presidential retreat at Camp David, Maryland". After 20 days, it's still a "real shocker" to Bush?

Watch the video here.

No comments:

Post a Comment