Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Andrew Card Resigns

Bush's Chief of Staff, Andrew Card has resigned and is set to be replaced by Joshua Bolten.

The resignation comes at a time when rumours had been flying about a possible shake up at the WH. At his press conference last week, Bush had denied that such changes might be forthcoming:

Q Some say they are tired and even tone-deaf, even within your party who say that maybe you need some changes. Would you benefit from any changes to your staff?

THE PRESIDENT: I've got a staff of people that have, first of all, placed their country above their self-interests. These are good, hardworking, decent people. And we've dealt with a lot. We've dealt with a lot. We've dealt with war, we've dealt with recession, we've dealt with scandal, we've dealt with Katrina. I mean, they had a lot on their plate. And I appreciate their performance and their hard work and they've got my confidence.

And I understand -- Washington is a great town for advice. I get a lot of it -- sometimes in private, from my friends, and sometimes in public. There are those who like to stand up and say to the President, here's what you ought to be doing. And I understand that. This isn't the first time during these five-and-a-half years that people have felt comfortable about standing up, telling me what to do. And that's okay. I take it all in and appreciate the spirit in which it's delivered, most of the time. But -- no, look, I'm satisfied with the people I've surrounded myself with. We've been a remarkably stable administration. And I think that's good for the country.


Card said of Bush as he gave his farewell speech: "You're a good man, Mr President". That sounds familiar.

Democratic senator Chuck Schumer had this to say about Card's resignation:

"Simply rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic by replacing Andy Card with Josh Bolten without a dramatic change in policy will not right this ship."

And, changing horsemen in the midst of the apocalypse doesn't have much of an impact either.

Could it be that Card feels Fitzgerald's noose slowly tightening around his neck?

No comments:

Post a Comment