Sunday, November 12, 2006

Are We There Yet?

How long has this Liberal leadership race been going on now? Two years? It sure feels like it. There are at least two things I've gained from this lengthy test of wills: 1) Ignatieff has been given the opportunity to show exactly why he's a poor choice for leader, which suits me just fine, and 2) I've had the chance to get to know Ken Dryden better.

Here's where the hopefuls stand:

Ignatieff: open mouth, insert foot; open mouth, remove foot; open mouth, insert foot
Dryden: teddy bear types don't make good prime ministers, unfortunately
Dion: bubbly, likeable guy - major issues in Quebec
Rae: funny guy with nice hair - major issues in Ontario
Kennedy: pragmatic, younger brother-like guy who needs a haircut, according to Don Newman
Hall-Findlay: not quite ready - yet
Brison: Puh-lease! Just say no/non.
Jason Cherniak: (whoops, that's the 2020 leadership race)
Some guy named Joe who's going to lose and would do everybody a favour by slipping out the back door quietly.

Nice bunch we have there. Now, if we could somehow morph them all together (minus Joe) into one super-type candidate, the Liberals might actually have something going for them. I'm not a betting gal but, if I was, I'd put my money on Dion or Rae after the first ballot. If you guys elect Ignatieff, who is not one to be reined in easily, don't come crying to me when you've lost the next federal election. I prefer the bubbly, likeable, funny guys with nice hair, good policies and actual personalities and that's as close to an endorsement as I'll come to before this is all over. Sorry, uncle Ken.

No comments:

Post a Comment