Friday, April 07, 2006

See Scotty Spin

Spin Scotty Spin.

Q Leaks are okay?

MR. McCLELLAN: No, I didn't say that. What I'm saying is that the issue here is the National Intelligence Estimate --

Q No, I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about leaks.

MR. McCLELLAN: -- and the declassifying of the National Intelligence Estimate.

Q I'm talking about a statement the President made in the fall of 2003.

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm not going to try to draw a broad conclusion, or make a broad statement. If you've got specific instances you want to refer to --

Q No, you seem to be saying it's bad to leak classified information that will hurt the country --

MR. McCLELLAN: Let me give you a specific instance --

Q -- but it's not bad to leak declassified.

MR. McCLELLAN: A specific instance is the leaking of classified information that could harm sources and methods, or put them at risk, or harm our nation's security. One is the terrorist surveillance program.

Q Understood, but that's not the issue here.

MR. McCLELLAN: Sure it is part of the issue, because that's --

Q It's part of the issue, but not the part of the issue I'm trying to get to.

MR. McCLELLAN: -- that's exactly what the President is referring to when he's talking about leaking of classified information. That's exactly the kind of information he's talking about.

Q I know he is, but what I'm saying is the President expressed displeasure about leaks, not just classified leaks, but displeasure --

MR. McCLELLAN: Sure, he's talked about that in the past.

Q So he has displeasure about leaks, even of declassified material?

MR. McCLELLAN: Well, again, you have to look at what specific instance are you talking about.

Q Well, you won't talk about the specific instance we want to talk about --

MR. McCLELLAN: No, I just gave you an example.

Q -- so, in general --

MR. McCLELLAN: I just gave you an example.

Q -- if you leak something, he has no problems as long as it's not classified?

MR. McCLELLAN: That's not what I said, Martha. What I said is what I said, and you ought to listen to what I said, not try to put words in my mouth.

Q No, I'm not.

MR. McCLELLAN: And I think you can go back -- if you've got a specific instance of a leak, bring it up.

Q Did he have a specific instance when he said his displeasure about leaks?

MR. McCLELLAN: Yes, he was being asked about classified information being disclosed.

Q "I constantly express my displeasure with leaks, particularly classified leaks."

MR. McCLELLAN: That was in the context of people leaking classified information. But, sure, this is a town -- I mean, this is a town where that happens a lot. And a lot of those are not helpful things to have happen. But you're asking me to make a broad statement, and I'm not going to do that.

Q Scott, what was the President's reaction to this story?

MR. McCLELLAN: I'm sorry?

Q What was the President's reaction to this story? What has he said?

MR. McCLELLAN: "This story"?

Q The story, as it's published.

MR. McCLELLAN: "The story as it's published"? Which story as it's published?

Q You sound like Donald Rumsfeld. (Laughter.)

Dramamine, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment