Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Ralph Klein to Resign in September, 2006

The following are quotes from Ralph Klein's press conference this morning in which he announced that he will submit a letter to his party in September requesting that a leadership race be undertaken within weeks. He foresees that his last day in office will be around the end of December, 2006.

Phrases in square brackets [] are paraphrased quotes:

"I spent a lot of time reflecting on what would be best for my party, my government, myself..."

"kind expressions...mean a lot"

"caucus has continued to support me through this time"

[has received] "800 messages from Albertans - 99.9% of them positive"

"it has always been about the people of this province...they are the reason I entered politics and they are the reason I've stayed..."

"serving Albertans will remain the priority for me during the time I have left as Premier"

"my term will be shorter than I originally anticipated considering the results of last weekend's votes"

"support not strong enough for me to stay on as long as I expected"

"the political realities will make it increasingly difficult for me to do my job"

"I will submit a letter to the party sometime in September this year and [will suggest that a leadership race be undertaken]"

"as soon as a new leader is chosen [I will step down]"

"carrying out [my] vision is where my focus will be for the rest of this term"

Responses to questions:

(The reporters didn't have microphones so it was almost impossible to hear their questions. The following are Klein's responses.)

"I was very disappointed but it's really not important now. It serves no purpose to be pointing fingers and laying blame."

"I haven't read Colleen's comments in the paper today but she is protective of the people she cares about. I'm not really upset about her comments. She was asked how she felt and responded from the heart."

"The decision wasn't as difficult as you might have imagined. When I saw the results...I was shocked."

"The only factor that led to the 55% was the length of the leadership campaign being 18 months instead of 6 months."

"I don't feel that, under the circumstances, I can govern. I don't feel betrayed. I feel disappointed, as I said. It was the length of the leadership, as I said."

"I've always been honest."

"This is a letter asking... I haven't framed the letter yet...it will basically say that I urge the party to convene a leadership contest and once the leader is selected, I will step down. [possible leadership contest in October or November]. If it goes as I plan [I foresee the last day of my term being the end of December]."

"As I said, it's business as usual (response to question about the Third Way health reforms). [said it's up to Iris Evans - the health minister]"

"the legislature is the legislature and I would like to keep things as normal as possible and I would like to proceed with the [health reform] legislation."

"If a leadership race is convened, then I don't see there would be a fall session."

"The thing I'll miss most about the job is getting out from under the dome and meeting Albertans throughout this province."

"I've always said that I don't want to be too busy [in my retirement]. I do want to fish and golf. I have been offered various positions that would keep me busier than I am right now. [no decisions made yet]."

[outlining priorities for the remainder of his term: health care reform, better relationships with the federal government, cancer legacy fund, integrated energy policy, leaving the province in better shape than it was].

"There's no doubt any the support in the caucus. There's no doubt about the support in the public - 65%-70%. Relative to the party support, I don't think it had anything to do with me." [it was about the length of the leadership race].

[Became concerned about his support when he "read the headline about the youth" of the party]

Q.:Are you retiring from politics?
"Ya, ya, it's a young man's game and it's a blood sport."
_________________________

No matter what Ralph says, his poor showing this past weekend of only garnering 55% of the support of the delegates was about far more than the length of the leadership race. He's been extremely arrogant, stubborn and refused to respond to the basic needs of Albertans (education, health care, infrastructure etc.) while he was on his mission to eliminate the debt. But, he can live in his dream world as long as he likes. The rest of us are moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment