Wednesday, June 07, 2006

What's So Damn Scary About Being a Liberal?

First they were Democrats. Then they were progressives. Now, apparently, kos and his fans are Libertarian Democrats.

In the end though, wu ming nails it:

there's an easier way to say that, markos

liberal. no branding run-around necessary

And that is exactly what I wrote about in my third blog post here in February. If they thought it was lonely sitting on the sidelines of the political game as progressives, they'd better enjoy tailgate parties because if they rebrand themselves now, they won't even be in the ball park. They'll be in the parking lot.

This cult of kos movement is getting a little tedious and those who follow his every move as if he's some kind of prophet are truly missing the forest for the trees. But, I'm sure they'll all line up to buy his promised book on this new movement. What are they going to call themselves? Liberats?

Ezra Klein had already debunked such a move by Democrats last year and, as one of his commenters opined:

Next: Neo-neo-conism. The solution to all the Democratic Party's problems.

Just for a lark, I took this libertarian purity quiz and scored 18. My result? "You are a soft-core libertarian. With effort, you may harden and become pure." Why on earth would I want to 'harden'?

Regardless, I'm a liberal, damnit! And that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment