Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Blogger Attacks Me Because I'm Poor

Leave it to those so-called 'compassionate' conservatives to attack a poor person. It's bad enough when they just mock us in general because they think it scores them brownie points with their fellow heartless tory buddies, but when it gets personal, it's gone too far.

On Tuesday, I wrote a post about World Poverty Day because poverty has been one of my key political issues since I was a child. I provided personal examples in that post of my current circumstances and I knew it was a risk taken that would leave me vulnerable to those who would rather attack poor people than understand them, but I'm not ashamed of my income status and it's my reality so I feel I have a duty to speak about what it's like to be poor so others don't need to hide either.

In response to that post, Clive of the blog The Doggerel Party wrote this, in part:

However, catnip doesn't last the full post campaigning for poor people elsewhere. About halfway down it turns into a 'poor old me' post.


"I'm well aware of the realities of 'poverty in the midst of plenty' since I live in oil-rich Alberta as a person who must rely on meager disability payments to survive."


She goes on to itemise her 'lack of choices' in several areas as a result of her poverty: She can't live where she chooses, she has to use food banks and can't eat what she chooses. Now, this is interesting, because one thing her blog makes abundantly clear (through the excessive use of YouTube if nothing else) is that she certainly has her choice of high-speed internet connections at around $40-$50 a month. Now, I know, some of you might not think that DSL is a basic human right, but have some compassion, will you?

And for someone who's 'too disabled to work,' she's surely a prolific writer. On Tuesday 17th, for example, she posted around 5,000 words. Not a bad output - a MSM journalist would be pretty happy with that, I would think. And that doesn't count the time spent reading and researching for those posts. So she's not so disabled she can't plough hours a day into the work of blogging. Colour me stupid, but I can't see the difference between that and most other desk jobs out there.

First of all, read this, Clive. And do you have any idea how long it takes me to write a post in between much-needed naps and meds to deal with my exhaustion and pain?

I responded on his blog but, since his comments are moderated and he may not choose to post my reply, I've copied it here:

FYI, my cable is included in my rent which is almost half of my income.

As for my "prolific writing", you have absolutely no idea how much physical pain I have to endure every single day as a result of my illnesses. I could stay in bed wailing and moaning or I can do something productive. You also have no idea how hard I have to work to even get a post up since I suffer from mental fog and serious memory problems. Did you know that if you forget how to spell "dictionary" and spell it "dicstionary", you'll actually be taken to a dictionary site with that spelling? I'll bet you didn't because many people, unlike me, don't suddenly forget how to spell words they've known for 40+ years or forget the actual meaning of a familiar word mid-sentence.

So, criticize my liberal views on poverty if you like but if you're going to make it personal, next time ask me what it's like to live in my body every day. I take personal responsibility for my situation and do what I can. What exactly, would you have me do?

I can be a voice for change and if that's all I can do, that's enough for me. Apparently, it's not enough for you.

Oh, and by the way Clive, my real name is 'Lucie' which you would have known if you'd actually taken the time to e-mail me about how my illnesses affect my life. And, FYI, I have lupus, fibromyalgia and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for which I do receive medical care and which I must submit reports on periodically to continue to receive my benefits. So if you have any complaints about how I might be cheating the system or how I might actually qualify to work somewhere full or part time, which my doctors have not found me capable of, take it up with those physicians.

I've had to deal with people like Clive in my life before - those who don't care enough to understand what it's actually like to live in this wretched body of mine - and I've had to come to accept that such a 'holier than thou, why don't you just get a job?' line is about all of the compassion some people can muster. But - I have never and will never back down from that criticism because until those people have walked a mile in my shoes or lived a day in my body, I know they have no right to think that they know exactly what it's like.

So, I'll tell Clive what I've told those before him who've thrown the same attitude at me: just hope you never end up as sick as I am, because that would be a terrible way for you to have to learn that compassion is not a vice. It's actually a virtue.

I'm poor. I'm sick. I deal with it. And it hasn't killed me yet. And, until it does, I won't stop blogging just to please people like Clive who think so-called 'handouts' are a cardinal sin. Guess what, Clive? If I gave up those 'handouts', I'd be out there on the street begging for your spare change for a bus ride to the doctor's and you'd still be complaining about me! Think about that.

Yes, Clive, you did 'single me out unfairly'. You're just lucky I'm polite.

If you're not busy later Clive, maybe you could round out your day by stopping in at a homeless shelter (like the one I used to work at) and yelling at a few homeless guys just for something to do.

Sleep well and warmly.

P.S. I also crochet quite prolifically for my grandherbs during the cold months. You might want to turn me in for that too - although I do get most of my wool through Freecycle. I get points for that at least, don't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment