Saturday, May 06, 2006

Patrick Kennedy is a "Disgrace to Humanity"?

There's nothing worse than a sanctimonious recovering addict and that's exactly what you'll find over at Riehl World View. In a rambling post titled, 'Why Kennedy is a Disgrace to Humanity', the author pontificates, or rather projects the problems he's had in his life with addiction onto Congressman Kennedy in order to attempt to justify his headline. Yet, he then admits:

Why is Kennedy a disgrace to humanity? I don't know. I just know that late one night weaving back and forth and arguing with a bar keep in Trenton, New Jersey ... that's precisely what he told me. I can't tell you what it meant, I can only tell you that it worked. That and a subsequent run in with a few State Troopers compounded by a loss of my license.

I had enjoyed a certain protection up until then, given a Brother in law enforcement. Nothing like Kennedy's, but protection nonetheless. It wasn't until he all but hung up on me leaving me alone with the statement and question that I was a drunk, now what was I going to do about it? That I even began to try and figure that one out.

Say what you want. Like I said, it worked. And that's a damn site more than all the fretting and fawning and focus on Kennedy's noble efforts on the part of addiction will likely ever do for him, or anyone else for that matter.

So, after a reported 24 years in sobriety, the author still doesn't know why his 'bar keep' told him he was a disgrace but decides that doesn't really matter and throws the same phrase Kennedy's way? Not much personal insight there to be had.

As for 'fretting and fawning', any recovering person or addictions professional (and I fit both of those categories) will tell you that support is crucial to a person's successful recovery. I guess Mr Riehl World recovered all by himself and just completely dropped out of life when he got sober since that's the advice he then offers Kennedy:

If Rep. Patrick Kennedy gave a damn about addiction recovery as a whole and knew anything about how to bring it about, he'd quit the House, admit what an abject failure he's been, then get some genuine humility and real help and not look back.

Why? Let's look at what's behind that screen.

I doubt Kennedy has fought a good fight in all his life, that's his disease. No doubt he has some high priced shrink telling him exactly why. Hell, I can do it for free. It's like I said, the man is a disgrace to humanity. It's just as simple as that.

His disease is addiction. His disgrace is his obvious and continuing inability to take any genuine responsibility for himself. Hint - you don't need, let alone want cameras anywhere near that event when it's real. Trust me on that.

Envy over that 'high priced shrnk'. Denial that Kennedy has taken on the responsibility for his life, his recovery and his pledge to serve his constituents. Jealousy over his status as a public figure. A complete lack of real compassion for Kennedy's plight.

Those are not characteristics of someone who is actually in recovery from addiction for 24 years. Anyone with a program would have the opposite opinions.

What a sad, sick ass he is. But then, that's how I always talk about people I hurt for when they are suffering from addiction.

Seriously, experience has taught me it's the only thing that really works.

Then your experience, Mr Riehl, is not that of millions of recovering addicts worldwide who give and receive genuine support to their mates every single day. You don't 'hurt' for someone and, at the same time, refer to them as a 'disgrace to humanity'. Frankly, that is a disgrace to recovering addicts everywhere.

If I was a betting person, I would put money on the fact that Mr Riehl has never launched the same attack at his president, who everybody and their dog knows is on a megalomaniacal dry drunk and is destroying America as we know it. No. He certainly is not a 'sad, sick ass', is he right-wingers? You want to talk about a real disgrace to humanity? Take a good, long look at George W Bush who condones torture and you'll find a real example of someone who deserves that title.

No comments:

Post a Comment