Monday, May 01, 2006

May Day Right-Wing Views Roundup

- Founder of the Minutemen targets run for president. (And he sure hates John McCain).

- Michelle Malkin proclaims that protesters think this is a "Day to Hate the Yanquis" and comforts her scared right-wing readers by stating, "Newsflash: The country is still standing...".

- A Red State blogger believes that "Diversity is death". I wonder if his ancestors, who were most likely immigrants unless he is native American, would have to say about that?

- One of the House's loudest Republican voices (as in 'fearmongering' voices) in the immigration debate, Tom Tancredo, tells the conservative National Review audience about the supposed 'plusses' of a real day without "illegal aliens". Of course, he offers no viable process by which such a day might actually happen.

- the National Review's Mark Krikorian offers what he considers to be historical wisdom:

But the use of direct action to intimidate lawmakers is largely alien to American experience. The civil-rights marches, which the illegal-alien movement frequently points to as its inspiration, were explicitly patriotic and constitutional affairs. The 1963 march on Washington didn’t feature foreign flags and racist, anti-American signs; on the contrary, Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech pointed to the promise of “the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence,” written by “the architects of our Republic,” and his peroration was based on the lyrics of “My Country, ‘Tis of Thee.”

The illegal-alien marches, starting almost two months ago in Chicago, have more in common with the anti-war marches of the 1960s in their hostility to the American constitutional order.
[...]
Of course, both the civil-rights and antiwar protests of the 1960s were by Americans demanding the attention of their fellow countrymen. By contrast, the illegal-alien marchers are morally identical to burglars demanding that the homeowner rearrange the furniture.


He also claims that the antiwar protests against the Vietnam war actually "prolonged the war". Pardon me?

- Andrew Sullivan offers only this bit of commentary on this day of boycotts - completely ignoring the issue of immigration reform: "On May Day, the evil of communism needs to be remembered; and its millions of victims mourned and recalled."

- Bob Griggs tells the world that he is becoming "more nationalistic by the day" while he calls undocumented immigrants "invaders" and "interlopers".

I have always believed that I live in the greatest country in history, and I am unapologetic for the blessings that God, a pioneer spirit and a favorable climate have bestowed upon us. But, day by day, I become more aware of the forces, from within and without, that want to destroy my homeland or, at the very least, abuse its resources. And I am growing angry.

Maybe someone needs to remind Griggs that the "pioneer spirit" was also responsible for the slaughter of countless native Americans. Or maybe that's the spirit he's endorsing. I'm not quite sure. (Reminder to Bob: those pioneers were...gasp...immigrants!)

Poor Bob is so confused:

I probably wouldn’t be so angry if I trusted my elected officials to do the right thing– but I don’t. I have never seen so many spineless and self-serving excuses for leadership as I have in elected office, primarily in the U.S. Senate.

If you can't trust the Republicans you voted for, Bob, well who the heck can you trust? I think you should probably just stay home on election day.

Well, that's enough of a jaunt through the right-wing blogosphere for this liberal. One can only take so much hatred at a time and I've had my fill for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment