Thursday, October 19, 2006

Update on Being Attacked for Being Poor

Last nite, I told my readers about a post at the Doggerel party blog written by Clive who went after me because I'm poor. I have since received an e-mail from him informing me that he removed his original post about me and has posted an apology. He also added more thoughts about what had happened in his e-mail to me.

I accept his apology and believe it was genuinely heartfelt. I also appreciate his willingness to admit that he had made a mistake.

I didn't sleep all that well last nite. It bothers me that the poor are still marginalized, making it easy for us to be targets. Clive and I may not agree on the political solutions but as long as that divide remains between those on different ends of the political spectrum, we'll still be debating what to do about world poverty in 2106. That's unacceptable. We have to be able to put our differences aside to work together on measures that we do agree on if we're ever going to get anywhere.

Clive shared with me that he has been doing his part personally through volunteering for a long time and actions like that are where we have to begin if we're going to have an impact.

Povery shouldn't be a political issue, but it is. And, in that case, we need to remember that all politics are local because we can't rely on governments to eradicate the problem. They don't have the will. Ordinary people like you and I do, however, and every small act counts.

I want to thank everyone who left a comment of support. That's what keeps me going.

“Poverty is the worst form of violence.”
-Gandhi

“Remember the poor - it costs nothing”
- Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment