Sunday, November 26, 2006

Great minds think alike...

From the 'Hey! Didn't I write something just like that?' department:

Saturday's Globe and Mail endorsed Stephane Dion for the next Liberal leader while ripping apart Michael Ignatieff (which I've turned into a hobby) and concludes:

The problem is not that there is an absence of impressive people interested in the job. It's just that not one of them is perfect for it. Each of the contenders boasts attributes of leadership, and each reveals areas of weakness and vulnerability. If you could mix and match the characteristics of those four candidates, the result would be sure prime-ministerial material. But when they vote on Dec. 2, Liberals will have to settle for something less.

And that echoes what I wrote here earlier in November:

Now, if we could somehow morph them all together (minus Joe) into one super-type candidate, the Liberals might actually have something going for them. I'm not a betting gal but, if I was, I'd put my money on Dion or Rae after the first ballot.

I haven't officially endorsed anyone but I do like Dion. I think he'd make a very vibrant leader and, according to my informal poll which also has him in the lead, a lot of people seem to agree. On the other hand, Bob Rae does have nice hair...

But I do agree (obviously) with the Globe and Mail when they say that no one is the perfect choice but if they all end up working together, despite their differences during the race, there's a good chance the Liberal party could reinvent itself in a way that's once again palatable in the eyes of the majority of Canadians - not that I agree with all of their centrist policies since I'm a small 'l' liberal, but they're the only so-called left-wingish party that has a chance of booting Harper and his cronies out of power. The sooner that happens, the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment