Saturday, September 16, 2006

Feminism, Breasts & Bill Clinton

So, I was wandering around the blogosphere late Friday nite when I found a link to this post on Ann Althouse's left right-leaning political blog: ' Let's take a closer look at those breasts.' I wondered whose breasts she might be writing about and why, so I checked out the link and discovered Ms Althouse had created some controversy when she felt it necessary to point out the physique of a feminist blogger who appeared in a group picture of lefty bloggers with Bill Clinton earlier this week because Althouse felt it violated some secret feminist code ie. thou shalt not have breasts that appear obvious, especially in the company of Bill Clinton (whom Althouse can only consider as being a sexual predator - which wipes out absolutely everything he has ever done or is doing in his life). That, Althouse claimed, was done in the name of standing up for feminism. If that's what she believes, she doesn't know what feminism is.

I don't write much about feminism here. I prefer to live it. One of the reasons I don't tackle the subject philosophically is because of the way the topic has been so co-opted by people who claim to be feminists but aren't. But, this situation has brought the issues to the forefront in the so-called progressive blogosphere again, so here I am - feeling the need to respond.

Look, I'm 47 years old. I grew up during the heyday of the modern day feminist revolution and it became a strong part of my identity. I actually left the Catholic church when I was 16 when I realized that its subjugation of women as second class citizens was not acceptable to my idea of what a religion should be all about. I was also influenced by a neighbour - a woman who was a deaconess at a local United Church who later, much to my surprise and delight, eventually became the the moderator of the United Church in Canada. All I knew at the time when I was acquainted with her was that she exemplified equality in a church organization and that impressed me as a young girl. I then set on my spiritual journey which took many forms and incarnations over the next 30 years.

What it all boiled down to for me was one word: freedom or at least the promise of it. I have a daughter and a granddaughter and I've tried to ensure that they both know that their status as females means they are equal and that their gender ought not be a barrier to anything they set their minds on doing. Both are strong females who have a sense of being in control of their lives and destiny (as much as an 11 year old grandherb can) and they make no apologies for being of the female gender, nor should they ever have to.

I have battle scars from my fights on the feminism front when I've had to take on men, women and society throughout my life to claim what it meant to be a woman in a tough world. I could tell you stories, but I won't. I've paid my dues to be a member of this club and that's all I'll say to justify the fact that I am entitled to my opinion. This has been much more than some academic squabble for me. It's been my reality.

So, when I see one female attacking another, as in this current blogosphere catfight, I have to ask (and did) what their definition of feminism really is because if the central tenet is freedom then that ought to extend to what a woman wears, how she presents herself and who she chooses to meet with in political circles. Bill Clinton isn't just about his past. He's about what's going on right now and what is going on right now is the struggle to push progressive left-wing ideas further into the mainstream and one of the crucial vehicles in that fight is the blogosphere, so he met with bloggers and (gasp!) some of the most influential are women - women who made their own choice because it was their right to to meet with him to discuss those efforts. But, apparently, that's offensive to people like Althouse and some of her cheerleaders because the only thing they can wrap their heads around is Bill Clinton's sexual history. Thus, any woman, and especially one whose boobs might be displayed, is a traitor to the feminist movement.

What complete and utter horseshit.

Where is the pride that woman have made such great strides in expressing left-wing ideals via their blogs that they have just as much, if not more, influence on politics today? You won't find that on Althouse's blog. Where is the understanding of feminism that a woman's boobs shouldn't even be on the radar screen when it comes to talking about a meeting with a former president who is willing to engage with bloggers? You won't find that on Althouse's blog either - except in the comments section by those who reacted to this obsession with one blogger's breasts as being petty and irrelevant, as I had.

It isn't the fact that a blogger with boobs met Bill Clinton that's the real issue here. What is obvious by Althouse's need to draw attention to one woman's pose in a photograph is that she would rather restrict another woman's freedom by attempting to humiliate her and then stand on her pulpit and call that real feminism. It's actually the antithesis of the spirit of the movement and Jessica of Feministing was more than justified in feeling offended by Althouse's post. And, I'm still waiting for Ann Althouse to define feminism for me as I asked her to because that's something she needs to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment