Thursday, April 13, 2006

When's the Christian/FBI Town Hall Meeting?

I find this news a bit odd:

FBI to use TV to reach U.S. Muslims

WASHINGTON - The FBI will hold its first nationally televised “town hall” meeting for Muslim and Arab-Americans Thursday in a effort to improve relations and enlist their help in fighting terrorism, an FBI official said.

Paul Moskal, chief division counsel for the FBI in Buffalo, N.Y., who will lead the meeting and field questions, said the agency and the Arab and Muslim American communities needed to overcome misconceptions about each other and foster closer cooperation.

“What we want to do is let the public know that the FBI has changed its mission after Sept. 11, that our number-one priority is the detection and prevention of another terrorist act. If someone in the public can help us accomplish that, that’s our purpose,” Moskal told Reuters Wednesday.

So let's see, if I was a Muslim and had been profiled as a potential terrorist since 9/11 just because of my religion, the first place I'd want to be is in a town hall meeting with the FBI where I could openly speak my mind without the fear of possible retribution. Right?

I don't think so.

And, what does the FBI think? That just because I'm Muslim, I know all of the terrorists so I should be reminded that they are not my friends?

Geez.

I don't recall any Christian town hall meetings after Timothy McVeigh blew up the Oklahoma Federal building or, come to think of it, after any crime by any other religious types to get the word out that they need to turn each other in.

Yet, the FBI also believes this is a good way to recruit people, almost five years after 9/11 during which time the distrust from Muslims has been fueled at every possible turn?

C'mon.

That is the Federal Bureau of Investigation that deals with intelligence, right? I had to remind myself of that because it's not all that obvious by this little news story.

No comments:

Post a Comment