Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Random News & Views Roundup

- I don't know where the hell freedom is actually on the march in Iraq but it sure isn't in Baghdad where 105 people were killed by bombs on Tuesday.

- Most of the time, Richard Cohen is is a wanker. Every now and then, he isn't - well, not as much anyway.

- Ya, you just cozy up with Dobson, McCain and remember, it's only fun until someone gets their eye poked out.

- Obama '08? I don't think so. He's not ready. And while I could write a whole post about the yin and yang of things, I won't. So, let me just say to those who are hoping for a Hillary/Obama ticket that you might as well just give up that idea right now cuz it ain't gonna happen. America is hardly ready for a woman or an African American president. Pair the two togther and you're into unicorns exist territory. Most likely candidate to have his ass handed to him on a plate and who sorely deserves it? Republican Tom Miami is a 'third world country' Tancredo.

- Olmert is under criminal investigation again. I wonder when people will start calling him Teflon Ehud?

- Also in Israel, IDF chief of staff Dan Halutz is toast. No love lost there.

- Oh and Kate, Castro still isn't dead.

- The Hypocrite of the Day award goes to George W Bush for 'chiding Iraq over the botched executions'.

"It basically says to people, `Look, you conducted a trial and gave Saddam justice that he didn't give to others. But then, when it came to execute him, it looked like it was kind of a revenge killing,'" the president said.

"It makes it harder for me to make the case to the American people that this is a government that does want to unify the country and move forward," Bush said. "And it just goes to show that this is a government that has still got some maturation to do."

Maturation? Like this?

In 1999, during the 2000 Republican Presidential primary race, conservative commentator Tucker Carlson interviewed Bush for Talk Magazine (September 1999, p. 106). Excerpt from this interview is quoted below:

In the weeks before the execution, Bush says, a number of protesters came to Austin to demand clemency for Karla Faye Tucker. "Did you meet with any of them?" I ask. Bush whips around and stares at me. "No, I didn't meet with any of them," he snaps, as though I've just asked the dumbest, most offensive question ever posed. "I didn't meet with Larry King either when he came down for it. I watched his interview with Tucker, though. He asked her real difficult questions like, 'What would you say to Governor Bush?'" "What was her answer?" I wonder. "'Please,'" Bush whimpers, his lips pursed in mock desperation, "'don't kill me.'" I must look shocked — ridiculing the pleas of a condemned prisoner who has since been executed seems odd and cruel — because he immediately stops smirking.

Bush denied that he had intended to make light of the issue.

Right. Because we're just all that stupid, aren't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment