Saturday, December 09, 2006

Banning Trans Fats: It's all about ugly, fat people

Oh how the so-called logic of right-wingers gets tiresome sometimes.

Ann Althouse, the blogging lawyer who created the ridiculous 'Let's take a closer look at those breasts' controversy, now weighs in on the issue of banning trans fats:

I simply do not believe that the so-called health side is really composed of people who are solicitous about everyone else's health. I can't prove it, but my intuition is that all the strength on the "health" side of this war comes not from people who really care whether other people are healthy, but from people who don't like having to see fat people. They are concerned about their own aesthetic pleasures, and they think fat is ugly.

And that argument about how much money fat people are costing us? I say it's bogus... a strategy to win more support for more restrictions. Fat people burden the taxpayers? I simply don't believe it. I'm sure fat people have various ailments they need to put up with, and some of these are going to tap into public funding -- drug benefits for blood pressure medicine, amputations, and so on. But what about the offsets? They going to die younger. (On average. Not you, of course.) I don't trust the numbers concocted by the people who want to intrude here. Those who want to be left alone don't work hard enough at putting together their own facts.
[...]
Where does that number come from? If people are dying of trans fat, won't we save on Social Security and Medicare? If fat is so fatal, why do fat people walk among us?

That's right. Who cares about health problems? Just let them die. We'll save money.

And if AIDS is so fatal, why do people with AIDS walk among us?

Who needs actual medical evidence? Lawyer Althouse has nailed the real reasons for the concern: fat people are ugly, therefore those who pretend to care about their health are actually bigoted scumbags who must manipulate them into becoming thin by creating a faux crisis so they won't have to look at them anymore.

The things you learn on right-wing blogs.

I'll be back after I finish my tub of Crisco that I took out for breakfast and once I've emptied out that pail of DDT in the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment