Friday, July 04, 2008


My princess Fabiana lilies

It's been a crazy two weeks since I moved - trying to get organized and settled while keeping an eye out for another place to move to since this household is so dysfunctional (to put it mildly). I also caught a nasty cold the day we moved but I'm pretty much over that now.

In the meantime, I found out that my daughter's father (whom I'd left when she was 2 months old - 30 years ago - but whom I've also been in touch with frequently since then) is in a hospice dying of colon cancer. I had known about the diagnosis in 2006 but his condition has really deteriorated the past six months. He's lost most of his body weight - used to be a pretty big guy - but he's in good spirits and is working on his life story etc. Had a good visit with him the other day going over our past together. He was one of those wild guys who got kicked out of his hometown for being a yahoo when he was a teen. Needless to say, we had a lot of fun back then. I'm looking forward to spending more time with him. He's not going down without a fight.

One of his regrets is that he dedicated his time to working in the oil patch because he realized too late in life just how much that business destroys the environment. That's quite the admission, afaic. He's also very much into native spirituality now with his animal spirit identified for him as the eagle, so that's become extremely important to him and brings him a lot of peace.

I've never had to deal with someone close to me dying from a terminal illness but, as with everything, it's one day at a time.

I need to add that, as we were going over our perspectives on the past, we both learned that miscommunications and gossip from other people that we didn't even know about until we talked the other day had influenced both of us for years - and this was about major life events that seriously impacted both of us in separate ways because neither one of us knew the real truth. I cannot stress how important it is to clear these things up so people can actually move on knowing the truth but that should never have to wait until the end of one's life is near. It's never too early to clear the air and to be honest with someone else about how you saw your life with them and it's so necessary for peace of mind. I'm glad we were able to straighten out some of those issues. It's tragic that it took this to happen until we finally managed to do it.

I've finally been able to slow down a bit and breath the last couple of days. That's why the name of this post is "whirlwind". It's all been very chaotic and exhausting. (In the middle of all of this, I was set up on my second blind date ever but that's another story. I'm one of those people who actually enjoys being alone so this has added a bit of extra stress. Life seems to be pushing me along and, as usual, I'm pushing back.)

I've kept a bit of an eye on the US presidential race but, as I predicted, it's so incredibly boring that I know I'm not missing much anyway. I do plan to get back into the swing of daily blogging now as much as I can. I'll see how things go. My apologies to those who've been waiting for me to get back to posting.

Speaking of yahoos, the Calgary Stampede started today. I doubt I'll head down to the grounds but you can bet that I'll hit every Stampede Breakfast I possibly can. Good, free food. What's not to like??

Alrighty - just writing all of that down wore me out. Off to catch up on things.

Happy Independence Day to my yank friends! Don't overdose on the hot dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment