Tuesday, November 11, 2008

AWOL

If there was a prize for the blogger who moves the most often, I'd win it. I'm moving on east of Calgary this Saturday - out of the city again (finally!) and into a weird little bedroom community. That should be interesting. It's all part of my master plan to eventually buy a car again (I gave mine up a few years ago) and move back out into the real country some day where I'll settle down and finally write that Giller prize-worthy novel (right).

I was a bit worried that I might not have easy access to big city shopping facilities (ie. malls) if I moved out there but who am I kidding? Like I actually shop all that often anyway (or go out, even? Not with this back and not with my current state of finances). They do have some stores out there and, luckily enough, my newest roomie/landlady will let me use her vehicle if I need to. How nice is that??

I can't wait to shake off the city (and current roomie situation) noise. Cape Bretoners can be quite...ummm..."lively" and I am...not.

So, I won't be posting all that often in the next while.

I did watch the Remembrance Day ceremony from Parliament Hill this morning and what struck me as terribly sad was listening to the voices of the children singing - children taught about peace and all that means - who then grow up to learn the ugly reality that war powers lay in the hands of men (mostly) who send people off to die for resources, power and money. And when I saw a clip of Bush's speech, I once again felt that extreme contempt that comes with watching someone who should be tried for war crimes spouting off as if he did something exaltingly moral by invading Iraq and horribly ignoring the plight of the Afghans whose lives he's ruined as well. And don't even get me started on the so-called Middle East peace process. What process?

Once again, RIP to the veterans and civilians who've perished and may the walking wounded receive the best care possible.

In the words of John Lennon:

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

We sing it but do we really mean it?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment