Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Tuesday Open Thread

Alrighty. I know some of you have missed me.

Exhibit A:



I'm still having intertubes connection problems and Shaw's extra-speedy customer service department booked a service call this past Saturday for Wednesday. They obviously don't realize that my fans are going through serious withdrawal. The brutes!

While they have deemed it worthy to provide me with at least a few hours per day of access to this paid service (and a costly service it is), I guess I'm supposed to bow down in front of the Jim Shaw Temple to express my undying gratitude.

Right.

Screw that.

Anyway, a few things:

It's about damn time that Steven Truscott's name was cleared. The court, however, could not bring itself to deem him "innocent". The phrase "miscarriage of justice" seems so empty after almost 50 years. Imagine if his death by hanging had been carried out.

Truscott had this to say:

Truscott said he was "just elated" when he heard the news while travelling from Guelph to Toronto. "It didn't immediately sink in because I was prepared for the worst, which has happened every time in the past."

"I never in my wildest dreams expected in my lifetime for this to come true, so it's a dream come true," he told reporters.

When asked whether he'll fight for compensation, he said, "I haven't even thought of that. I've learned over the years you fight one battle at a time."

Truscott's lawyer, James Lockyer, said, "Steve should get every penny he can out of the government after what he's been through.

"I'm glad Ontario's attorney general has acknowledged that he should be compensated, as he has today."

I can't even begin to ponder what a relief this news is for Truscott. I read his story when I was a kid and it left me wondering about the process of so-called "justice" and the belief in the death penalty in this country (which I've always opposed). It really is unconscionable that it took this long for Truscott to finally experience something nearing true justice. May he find some peace.

If you're not familiar with the case or how it ended up back in the court system after all of these years, visit The Fifth Estate's site for a look at their 2000 in-depth investigation which was a catalyst.

Update: The Fifth Estate will be covering the story once again this evening.

**************

Two new blogs to announce:

penlan, a regular commenter here who has also become a long-distance friend of mine (ie. she puts up with my insanity), has started a blog called political dots. Check it out.

Also, if you're into no-holds barred discussions, Political Fleshfeast may be the place for you. It's hoping to define itself as a true free speech zone for the left in defiance of bigger American blogs like Daily Kos, My Left Wing and others known for banning people and stifling debate. We'll see how that experiment turns out. Bring your popcorn, your wit and a thick skin.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment