Tuesday, November 11, 2014

War

In a weird, frightening way, we believe in violent death. We regard it as a policy option, as much to do with self-preservation on a national scale as punishment for named and individual wrongdoers. We believe in war. For what is aggression – the invasion of Iraq in 2003, for example – except capital punishment on a mass scale? We "civilised" nations – like the dark armies we believe we are fighting – are convinced that the infliction of death on an awesome scale can be morally justified.

And that's the problem, I'm afraid. When we go to war, we are all putting on hoods and pulling the hangman's lever. And as long as we send our armies on the rampage – whatever the justification – we will go on stringing up and shooting and chopping off the heads of our "criminals" and "murderers" with the same enthusiasm as the Romans cheered on the men of blood in the Colosseum 2,000 years ago.
 - Robert Fisk: In the Colosseum, Thoughts Turn to Death, 2007

10 comments:

  1. This "enthusiasm" is not only a sign of the times but also a way of life for many. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Article sir, Keep Going on... I am really impressed by read this. Thanks for sharing with us.. Happy Canada Day Wishes SMS Quotes 2015. Top 10 Insurance Companies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, that is a great article. You can find more interesting articles and news on the following site
    http://www.ottawakorner.com

    ReplyDelete

  4. Really nice and informative blog, keep it up buddy…Thanks for sharing

    clipping path service

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spot on with this write-up, I truly believe that this website needs a lot more attention. I'll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the advice!

    야동

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. Is usually able to answer customer questions.

    대딸방

    ReplyDelete
  7. "What I do not realize is actually how you're no longer actually much more
    smartly-liked than you might be now. You are very intelligent.
    You know thus considerably when it comes
    to this matter, produced me in my view believe it from numerous numerous angles.
    Its like men and women don't seem to be fascinated until it's something to do with Girl gaga!

    Your individual stuffs outstanding. All the time care for it up!"

    마사지블루

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't checked in here for some time since I thought it was getting boring, but the last several posts are good quality so I guess I'll add you back to my everyday blog list. You deserve it my friend ��

    건마탑

    ReplyDelete